Tuesday, October 27, 2015

31. Midieval Costume Recreated


Fires roaring, a table bowing under the weight of a feast (featuring a boar's head, of course), and the music of the lute and viol, that is what I think of when I see this picture. And it gets me super excited for Thanksgiving and Christmas, times when I get a similar feeling of warm abundance. 
This sketch was actually inspired by a sketch from the awesome book Midieval Costume and How to Recreate It. I think it is one of my all time favorite historical costume books.


You can actually see the cloak I copied on the bottom right of the cover. And I just realized I based a later sketch off of the top right image as well... For some reason the sketches in here really inspired me. How about you? I'd love to hear what books/music/artists inspire your creative side.

2 comments:

  1. This may not be an answer that you'd expect, but for me I'm not necessarily inspired by a specific genre or song, rather, something that speaks a Universal Truth. Sometimes it's a beautifully tragic book, sometimes a striking painting or photograph, sometimes a random song on the radio. However, when the work conveys a Universal Truth in a way that makes me understand or appreciate life in a different way it inspires me to want to create. Create something that will impact another in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! It made me think about why the things that inspire me inspire me. Still not sure I know, but it's an interesting question to think about.

      Delete