Monday, April 13, 2015

16. Hakama Archer


For some reason I have always found archery very "epic", there is something adventurous and romantic, in the old sense of the word, about it.  



Watching this video also made me think about how the Japanese like to take things from life (like archery or making tea) and turn it into a ritual that centers them and brings spirituality into their life. I think it would be an interesting concept to apply to my own life and also possibly make a cool magic system in a story I might find time to write some day...



This sketch's outfit was inspired by the following image from Albert Racinet's The Historical Encyclopedia of Costumes which is a really great book if you are in to historical or world costumes.



Getting dressed as a samurai looks like a lot of work, but I liked the look of his initial layers, so I took those and played around with it a little. I made up this outfit for a doll, someday I try to post a picture!

And in closing, another cool video of Japanese archery. The second half has better shot angles I think.





No comments:

Post a Comment